Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Masterharper of Pern, By: Anne McCaffrey

My novel is quite inspiring because it covers a familiar setting present in the study of music. The Masterharper of Pern is about this society that is run in the hills and mountain cliffs because of an outbreak of "spores" that killed all life as you knew it. This concept although it is lying dormant at the moment, destroyed a great deal of life as society had known it and than organizations were put together to stand up against it and others were put together to renew society. The master halls were created to perfect certain essential aspects of life such as Music, Medical Studies, Textiles, Furniture and many others much like our booming economic trades now a days. The industry lines and factories much represent the concept the author was trying to put forth, creating a familiar setting to how economy is run helped me to relate to what Anne wanted me to see as a reader.

Especially in the Music aspect which is where I am personally trying to take my education, the family present in the novel is a young mother with a beautiful soprano voice who understands a lot about musical theory, and her husband who writes complex musical scores to be performed for the hierarchy and sheer enjoyment of the wealthier folk. This reminds me of comparing how casual music playing and the industries that deal with it are completely different. In the Harper Hall (the place where musical study at a professional level takes place), people are taught to treat their musical studies and performances like their life; this is so much like University level music compared to high or middle schools. Even after their son Robinton is born their life still is revolved around spreading the knowledge of music, and it isn't until they decide to go traveling that Petiron (the husband and Masterharper) realizes that the world isn't always about playing music for studies but for enjoyment and as a pass time.

I'm almost afraid to go off to university because of how serious people take it as these levels, and how it's not about the sheer enjoyment in so many levels anymore. But I guess I will just have to suck it up and see where it takes me, besides it will be an interesting experience that I wont be able to experience unless I go for it.

1 comment:

Mrs. Corman said...

Oryanna, your book sounds really interesting. It's great that you were able to connect to it through your own love and appreciation of music. I think that even professional musicians must love what they do, or they wouldn't do it anymore. At least, I hope that is the case. You will have to let me know what your experiences at University are like.

Mark: nine out of ten