Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty By: James Thunder

At first I didn't really catch on to what the story was implying, but as it progressed I made a connection and really could follow where the character's mindset was. I can almost relate to the pictures the author was trying to create entirely because my Great Grandmother was quite similar but it was due to Alzheimer's that she would lose track of where she was and relive her events again. There weren't necessarily always the imaginative ones either sometimes she would relive an entire hour or so of her past, well that story reminded me a lot of her at least. I really enjoyed how in each story he was represented as this stereotypical hero type character, but in reality he was just a coward who got bossed around a lot by his wife. It was interesting though that objects and scenes around him caused his day dreaming sessions like the newspaper article, etc. Overall I pretty much well thought that this story was interesting and had room to grow in the reader's mind.

1 comment:

Mrs. Corman said...

Oryanna, an interesting entry, although I would have enjoyed a little more depth in discussion. You are right that the way the story is told is unusual, and can be a little confusing. However, having Walter jump from reality to imagination and back is clever as I think it mirrors the way our minds work.
It is interesting that you relate Walter's behavior to your great grandmother. I think that having an imagination is important. However, Walter lets his control him, rather than the other way around. This leads him into dangerous and embarrassing situations. So, in a way, it is like a disease or problem for him. Still, I think it is also what allows him to survive his real life.
I was glad to see you recognized how Walter intertwined his real and imaginary worlds through certain objects and situations.

Mark: eight out of ten.