Thursday, May 10, 2007

2nd Poetry Journal: Writer's Block in the Computer Age (pg. 187)


This picture really captivates the image of what the writer was trying to put across me as the reader. I totally understand the aggrivation of looking at the blinking cursor because even as I write this response I am not sure what to write about. This makes it a whole lot easier because the poem itself is talking about writer's block at the same time as me having writer's block. This is very ironic that my constant problem with writer's block comes about when I'm writing about the concept of it t0 begin with.

I often found in grade 9 when I would start to write that it was easier to write with an unclear idea than nothing at all. The concept of nothing discouraged me to write about anything at all so I would aimlessly look around until an idea sparked in my mind that was the only way I could get over the anxious problem of having a blank and impatient screen.

Writer's Block in the Computer Age
By: Peggy Smith Krachun (pg. 187 Imprints)


Cursor, cursor, blinking cursor
Shade of iridescent green
Cursor in the "Home" position
On my new computer screen

Cursor at the starting gate
Chomping at the bit and byte
Pawing at the screen, impatient
Nagging me to start to write

Cursor poised for the race
In Position One, Line One
Waiting for a brilliant word
To set off the starting gun

Until now a plain old scribbler
Was the only thing I'd use
On it I would draw and doodle
While I waited for the Muse

Now I have a winking cursor
Mocking me in brilliant green
Have you ever tried to doodle
On a blank computer screen?

Nagging cursor, cursed cursor
Blinking on without a sound
Go away until I'm ready
I'll never write with you around.

2 comments:

Mrs. Corman said...

A wonderful poem. I might use that one in my classes next year. It is an excellent example of the use of metaphor and personification to use a point.
Your discussion of author's craft could have been a little stronger. I could also no locate an outside connection.

Mark: eight out of fifteen

Oryanna Pearce said...

I don't think I am sure of what you mean by an outside connection... would you be able to discuss that with me in class sometime?