Friday, May 11, 2007

3rd Poetry Journal:Turn The Page By: Metallica

This song really means a great deal to me because I not only can feel the sensitivity in the lyrics, but it also a great classic. The mood of the peace is all summed up through this amazing image of a single microphone in the spotlight of a what seems to be empty stage. All of the hardships in moving in the music business now become clearer as they hadn't been before and I have been taught through the words and expression of the piece that the music industry is hard to get into, but well worth it once you get there.

In the last month or so I've been spending a lot of time analyzing the best approach of carrying on with music for my university major and listening to this tune the other day made me realise that maybe I don't need to go into being a star, but someone who does the behind the scenes work or helps pump out more talent into the industry. I feel I am too self-concious of myself to be the center of attention, but to work behind the shadows of the overwhelming spotlight would work for me. Who knows I might be a teacher, I might run my own music accessories shop or I might even go into the performing industry yet. Not that it is applicable now but it is always I thought in the back of my mind.

His story of ruffing it out in the wilderness of being a superstar opens a heart or two to really understand where he is comming from. On a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha is a fairly famous stage for musicians that every group can relate to, when they feel lost from their public and their fans that kept them going throughout their entirety of their career. We are the fans and in some cases the fans become their dreams. The hope that started us as we watched regular human beings become superstars through things like American Idol in our era which is been renewed by the millenia we as teenagers can see how much of an impact our dreams can have on the world. We will always be chasing our dreams down a long and dusty road.



Turn The Page
By: Metallica

On a long and lonesome highway east of Omaha
You can listen to the engines moaning out as one note song
You think about the woman or the girl you knew the night before
But your thoughts will soon be wandering the way they always do
When you're riding sixteen hours and there's nothing much to do
And you don't feel much like riding, you just wish the trip was through

Here I am - on the road again
There I am - up on the stage
Here I go - playing star again
There I go - turn the page




So you walk into this restaurant strung out from the road
And you feel the eyes upon you, as you're shaking off the cold
You pretend it doesn't bother you, but you just want to explode
Yeah, most times you can't hear 'em talk, other times you can
Oh, the same old cliches, "Is it woman? Is it man?"
And you always seem outnumbered, you don't dare make a stand
Make your stand

Here I am - on the road again
There I am - up on the stage Here I go - playing star again
There I go - turn the page

Oo-ooh, out there in the spotlight, you're a million miles away
Every ounce of energy you try to give away
As the sweat pours out your body like the music that you play, yeah

Later in the evening, you lie awake in bed
With the echoes of the amplifiers ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette, remembering what she said
What she said He-he yeah

Here I am - on the road again
There I am - up on the stage
Here I go - playing star again There I go - turn the page
There I go - turn that page
There I go, yeah, yeah There I go, yeah, yeah
There I go, yeah
There I go, yeah
There I go, Oo-oo-ooh
There I go
And I'm gone

4 comments:

Mrs. Corman said...

Interesting lyrics. They sort of belie the stereotype of the glamorous life of the rock star. It sounds empty, lonely, and like a lot of hard work.
I really enjoyed reading about some of your possible futures. It is exciting to have so many directions to head in.
I could not see an outside connection.

Mark: eight out of fifteen

Oryanna Pearce said...

You could not see the outside comment? The outside comment was the lonely microphone lit up by nothing but a dreary stage light. An empty emotion clouded by the darkness of the profession itself around it.

Mrs. Corman said...

I can see it now!

Mark: thirteen out of fifteen

Unknown said...

Just to clarify since I am a fan of the original, Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band wrote the first version. It was about being on the road and getting mocked for their long hair and dirty appearance. Metalica's version was about a Stripper Prostitute trying to make money to raise a kid, not exactly looking up to material.